Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Widgets

Manly Valentine

It’s difficult to come up with a Valentine’s card for a guy that’s not girly, or pink, or full of sparkle. There are so many wonderfully pink and frilly things in the new Spring Catalog that I’m just itching to use, but I have to ignore them for a while longer and make a manly valentine card. I always try to have one masculine card design at my Make and Take classes. This is the masculine card from the January Make and Take. Take a look!


  • Stamps: Teeny Tiny Wishes
  • DSP: Basic Black
  • Card Stock: Whisper White, Real Red, Basic Gray
  • Ink: Basic Gray
  • Accessories: Fancy Fan embossing folder, Triple Heart Punch (retired), Large Heart Punch, Red Glimmer Paper, 2-1/2” Circle Punch, Stampin’ Dimensionals, Multipurpose Liquid Adhesive, Real Red 1/4” Stitched Grosgrain Ribbon

I started off by cutting a piece of Whisper White card stock 4-1/4” x 11” and scored it at 5-1/2”. I cut a piece of Real Red card stock 2-1/4” x 4-1/4” and a piece of Basic Black polka dot DSP 2” x 4-1/4”. I adhered the DSP onto the Real Red card stock, then adhered this layer onto the left side of the card front.

Next I used the 2-1/2” Circle punch on the bottom right corner of the card front to create a window to the inside of the card. I stamped the simple greeting from Teeny Tiny Wishes just above the punched window in Basic Gray ink. To finish up the card front I simply tied a piece of Real Red 1/4” Stitched Grosgrain Ribbon around the card front into a knot.

Next I used the Large Heart punch on a scrap of Basic Gray card stock and ran the punched heart through the Big Shot in the Fancy Fan embossing folder. With the card closed, I used a Stampin’ Dimensional to adhere the heart onto the inside of the card centered in the circle window.


I usually don’t use retired products at the Make and Take classes. I want to show off all the new tools so my customers can get their hands on them and then order them if they like it, but the Triple Heart Punch that retired a while ago was just too perfect for this card to not use. So I used the Triple Heart Punch on a piece of Red Glimmer Paper and I adhered the glimmer hearts onto the textured Basic Gray heart with some Multipurpose Liquid Adhesive. 

That’s it! Quick, simple, and only a little bit of glimmer. What do you think?