Friday, August 10, 2012

Widgets

Black and White Friday Mashup 71

It’s Friday again! Are you ready for another Friday Mashup challenge? Well, first here is the card that I made. I know a couple of people getting married this fall so I figured I would go ahead and make this card for one of them. The simple black and white is such a striking combination.


  • Stamps: Well Scripted (retired)
  • Card Stock: Basic Black, Whisper White
  • DSP: Basic Black
  • Ink: Versamark
  • Accessories: Fun Flowers die, Fancy Fan embossing folder, Lacy Brocade embossing folder, Woodgrain embossing folder, Paper Piercer, Stampin’ Pierce Mat, Antique Brads, White Embossing Powder, Embossing Buddy, Heat Tool, Rhinestones, Sponge Dauber, Frost White Shimmer Paint, Stampin’ Dimensionals



So here is the "Mashup" Challenge:
  1. Make a project using " Black N' White Only ."
  2. Or Make a project with " Some Bling ".
  3. Or "Mash it Up" and create a " Black N' White Project with some Bling! "

I knew right away that with such a simple color combination I wanted to add lots of texture. Stampin’ Up has so many great embossing folders that it was difficult to decide on which ones to use. I wanted to use my Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder, but it is nowhere to be found. I’m sure it’s buried somewhere on my work table. I guess I’ll actually have to take the time to clean up so I can try to find it!

So to start on this card I cut a piece of Whisper White card stock 5-1/2” x 8-1/2” and scored it at 4-1/4”. Next I cut a piece of Basic Black card stock 3-3/4” x 5”. I cut a piece of Basic Black striped DSP 2” x 4-7/8” and adhered it onto the top of the Basic Black card stock. For the bottom I cut another piece of Basic Black card stock , but this time it was 1-7/8” x 4-7/8”. I ran this through the Big Shot in the Fancy Fan embossing folder. Then I used a Sponge Dauber with Frost White Shimmer Paint to color just the raised texture. You really don’t need a lot of paint on your Sponge Dauber to do this. Just a tiny bit goes a long way!  I adhered this onto the Basic Black card stock below the DSP then adhered this panel onto the card front.

It needed something in the middle to separate the black patterns, so I took a scrap strip of Whisper White card stock that was probably 1/4” wide and cut it to 4-7/8” long. I adhered this just above the textured Basic Black card stock.

For the greeting I had to pull out Well Scripted. It has been retired for quite some time now, but I just love how curly the text is! I stamped “congratulations” onto the DSP in Versamark, covered the stamped image with White embossing powder, tapped off the excess, and heated it with the heat tool.


Now for the flower! I took a piece of Whisper White card stock that was 5-1/5” x 8-1/2” and ran it through the Big Shot on my Fun Flowers die. I ran the blossoms through the Big Shot in different embossing folders to add a variety of texture. For the largest I used Lacy Brocade, the middle was Woodgrain, and the smallest was Fancy Fan. You can’t really tell in the picture, but I used the Sponge Dauber and Frost White Shimmer paint again on the texture just to give the textured areas some sparkle.  Then I just used my bone folder to curl the flower petals up to give them some shape.


I layered the flowers together and used my Paper Piercer and Stampin’ Pierce Mat to pierce a hole in the center and added the Antique Brad in the middle. The brad brings the black color into the center of the flower really well. I adhered the flower onto the card front with a few Stampin’ Dimensionals.


The final part of the challenge was to add some bling. Well that’s easy enough for me… I love sparkle!  So I pulled out my rhinestones and added a strip of rhinestones onto the exposed section of the Whisper White card stock strip. Finally, to make the flower match, I added one small rhinestone onto the center of the brad.

I really LOVE how this card turned out! It’s definitely a special one for a special occasion! I think the Fancy Fan is my favorite embossing folder right now. What is your favorite Stampin’ Up embossing folder?