Saturday, July 27, 2013

Widgets

Christmas for the Birds Friday Mashup 120!

It's Christmas in July! I know... it's still the middle of summer and who wants to start thinking about Christmas already? With all the holiday stamp sets removed from the big catalog this year I wanted to show you a Christmas card made with a stamp set still in the big catalog. So this Christmas card is simply for the birds!


  • Stamps: For the Birds
  • DSP: Smoky Slate
  • Card Stock: Smoky Slate, Midnight Muse, Pool Party, Whisper White
  • Ink: Soft Sky, Stazon
  • Markers: Marina Mist, Real Red, Pear Pizzaz
  • Accessories: Dazzling Details, Stampin' Dimensionals, Midnight Muse Stitched Satin Ribbon



Here's your Mashup Challenge:
  1. Create a project for "Christmas / Hanukkah".
  2. Create a project with "Stripes".
  3. Or Mash it Up and create a "Christmas / Hanukkah project with Stripes".

I started off by cutting a piece of Smoky Slate card stock 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" and scored it at 4-1/4". Next I cut a piece of Smoky Slate chevron DSP 3-7/8" x 5-1/8" and adhered this onto a 4" x 5-1/4" piece of Midnight Muse card stock. I adhered this layer onto the card front with some glue stick and moved on to the scene with the bird. 

I cut a piece of Whisper White card stock 2-1/8" x 3" and stamped the skating bird onto the card stock in black Stazon ink. I took a Post-It Note and cut one edge into a curve. I placed the Post-It Note over the bottom portion and lightly sponged around the top of the curved Post-It edge. I moved the Post-It Note up and very lightly sponged across the top of it to create little hills of snow behind the ice pond. Then sponged some more in the pond area to make it darker. 
I used my markers to color in the adorable little bird and added some Dazzling Details lined around the edge and through the ice pond to make it sparkly. It's kinda hard to see the shimmer in the photograph, but it is there. 


I adhered my adorable little birdie onto a 2-3/8" x 3-1/4" piece of Pool Party card stock then adhered it onto the card front with a few Stampin' Dimensionals. Finally, just to finish it off, I wrapped a piece of Midnight Muse Stitched Satin ribbon around the card front and tied it into a bow. 


I love this for a very non-traditional Christmas card! If you have a chance head on over to the Friday Mashup to see what the rest of the design team has created!