Friday, January 25, 2013

Widgets

Happy Chinese New Year Friday Mashup 94!

I had a tough time with this challenge. I usually don’t make any new year’s cards, much less Chinese New year. So if you know someone that needs a Chinese New Year card let me know. I’ll be willing to send this one off to someone who could use it! So here is what I came up with!


  • Stamps: Easter Blossoms, Everything Eleanor, Teeny Tiny Wishes
  • Card Stock: Cherry Cobbler, Early Espresso, Very Vanilla, Vellum
  • Ink: Versamark, Black Stazon, Sahara Sand
  • Accessories: Gold Stampin’ Dazzle Marker, Paper Crimper, Fancy Fan embossing folder, Cherry Cobbler seam binding ribbon, Stampin’ Dimensionals, Word Window Punch, Modern Label punch, Gold embossing powder, Embossing Buddy, Heat Tool, Craft Knife, 3” Circle Die, 2-1/2” Circle Punch, Multipurpose Liquid Adhesive

Image Source

So here is the "Mashup" Challenge:
  1. Make a project with a "Chinese New Year (Year of the Snake) Theme".
  2. Or Make a project using the "Paper Lantern Technique".
  3. Or "Mash it Up" and create a project for the "Chinese New Year featuring the Paper Lantern Technique". 

I started off by cutting a piece of Cherry Cobbler card stock 5-1/2” x 8-1/2” and scored it at 4-1/4”. Next I stamped the card front with the swirl image from Everything Eleanor in Versamark ink several times. I covered the stamped images with Gold embossing powder, tapped off the excess, and heated it with the Heat Tool. This gives the background some nice shiny gold swirls!

Next I cut a piece of Very Vanilla card stock 3-1/4” x 4-1/4”. I stamped the branch image from Easter Blossoms (retired) onto the card stock in Sahara Sand ink. I adhered this onto a 3-3/8” x 4-1/4” piece of Early Espresso card stock. Next I used the 2-1/2” Circle punch to punch a hole in the card stock. You have to press pretty hard, but it will punch through two layers of card stock. Next I adhered this layer onto the left side of the card front. Then I used the 2-1/2” Circle punch again to punch the Cherry Cobbler card base through the hole in the Very Vanilla/Early Espresso layer.

I used my craft knife to cut a slit in the fold of the card right above the center of the circle then ran a piece of Cherry Cobbler seam binding ribbon through the slit and the hole in the card front and tied the ribbon into a bow.

For the lantern part I used the 3” Circle die to cut a piece of Vellum card stock. I stamped the branch image from Eastern Blossoms (retired) in Black Stazon ink. I colored the backside of the vellum (the side opposite from the stamping) with a pink permanent marker to color in the flowers. Then I ran the vellum circle through the Paper Crimper to add the crimped texture. I used the Gold Stampin’ Dazzle marker to color just the raised ridges of the crimping with the gold pen.

I cut two pieces of Early Espresso card stock 1/2” x 1-3/4”. I ran these through the Big Shot in the Fancy Fan embossing folder then colored the raised texture with the gold pen and added some more gold decorative lines inside the raised texture. I adhered these pieces onto the top and bottom of my crimped Vellum circle with a little bit of Multipurpose Liquid Adhesive. After the glue dried I adhered my Vellum lantern over the punched hole with a couple Stampin’ Dimensionals.


I stamped the greeting from Teeny Tiny Wishes onto a scrap of Very Vanilla card stock in Versamark ink. I covered the stamped image with Gold embossing powder, tapped off the excess, and heated it with my Heat Tool then punched out the greeting with the Word Window punch. I used the Modern Label punch on a scrap of Cherry Cobbler card stock, adhered the two labels together with 2-Way Glue Pen, and adhered the label onto the card front with a couple Stampin’ Dimensionals.


Now I just stood the card up and placed a battery-powered tea light behind the hole in the card base and you have a glowing flickering lantern!

Head over to the Friday Mashup to see what the rest of the design team has created and enter your project!