Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Widgets

Candy Cane Holder

I’ve made these cute candy cane holders before at my upline’s make and take several years ago, but I had a specific request to do these again. They are so easy and fun. They would look really cute tied onto a gift and could even double as a gift tag!

  • Stamps: Mixed Medley
  • Card Stock: Early Espresso, Gumball Green
  • DSP: Be of Good Cheer
  • Ink: Cherry Cobbler, Garden Green
  • Accessories: Two Tags die, Sticky Strip, 3/16” Corner Punch, Real Red Stitched Grosgrain ribbon, 1/8” Real Red Taffeta ribbon, candy cane, 1-1/4” Scalloped Circle punch, 3/4” Circle punch, Stampin’ Dimensionals

I started off by cutting a piece of Early Espresso card stock 3” x 4-3/4”. I ran this through the Big Shot on the Two Tags die to cut out the larger tag. Next I cut a piece of Gumball Green card stock 1-5/8” x 2-1/2” and a piece of Be of Good Cheer DSP 1-3/8” x 2-1/4”. I used the 3/16” Corner punch on the top two corners of the Gumball Green card stock and DSP pieces. I adhered the DSP onto the Gumball Green card stock. Then I applied Sticky Strip onto the top and bottom on the back of the Gumball Green layer. Now simply remove the Sticky Strip liner and adhere it onto the shorter section of the tag. Fold the tag on the score line.

Now place your candy cane in the fold of the card stock and tuck the end of the short tab inside the slit at the top of the tag. Now take a piece of Real Red Stitched Grosgrain ribbon. Wrap it around the tag tightly and tie it into a knot. This will help hold the tag close if the card stock slips out of the slot.


I stamped the medallion image onto a scrap of Gumball Green card stock in Garden Green ink and punched it out with the 1-1/4” Scalloped Circle Punch. Next I stamped the greeting circle onto a scrap of Very Vanilla card stock in Cherry Cobbler ink. I punched this out with the 3/4” Circle punch and adhered it onto the center of the Gumball Green scalloped circle. I adhered this onto the tag with a Stampin’ Dimensional. Finally I added a length of 1/8” Real Red Taffeta Ribbon through the hole in the top of the tag and tied it into a knot. This makes a great ornament or gift tag.

The candy canes I chose were Mint Chocolate flavored. I chose them because I loved the color combo and knew it would look great with Early Espresso, Cherry Cobbler, and Gumball Green. Is that crazy? Maybe…