Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Widgets

Dare to … Give Handmade!

Today I’m going to share with you my project for this week’s Dare to DIY. I’m kind of cheating a little bit. I’m sure some of my family would love to see what I’m making for Christmas, but I can’t share that here until after Christmas. No peeking! But I participated in the Craftaholics Anonymous Handmade Gift Exchange this year. So I’m going to share with you what I made for Jodi, my swap partner.


First is a stack of four stamped and colored stone coasters. I used the Medallion stamp with Timber Brown Stazon ink and some alcohol ink to stamp and color these lovely stones. Then I added some felt on the bottom, so they don’t scratch the table top, and wrapped them up in some tulle. While I was making these I also made a set in bright pink that is in my Etsy shop. 



Next is a candy jar made from a candle stick, mason jar, and some E6000 adhesive. I spray painted the rim of the jar with some turquoise spray paint. Then I added some fabric and batting over the lid. Drilled a hole, and added a glass drawer pull in the top. I glued this inside the jar ring. Then I added a simple white vinyl monogram on the front of the jar and filled it up with some Lindt truffles (some of my favorite chocolate).





Finally, I asked what Jodi’s favorite quote or saying was and she gave me a quote from scripture. So I printed this quote on some Whisper White card stock. I stamped the swirls from Everything Eleanor a couple times onto the card stock in Tempting Turquoise ink and sprayed the card stock with Vanilla Smooch Spritz. I inserted this into an inexpensive frame that I had lying around that I painted with the same turquoise spray paint as the candy jar lid.



I also made her some sparkly green and clear cracked glass earrings. 


So now Jodi can decorate her desk space in turquoise, have a sweet snack, and be inspired!

What do you think?

I’m sharing this at the Dare to DIY party hosted by Decor and the Dog, Maybe Matilda, Newly Woodwards, and Two Twenty One!