Friday, June 20, 2014

Widgets

Smile Mixed Media Card

I made these lovely mixed media cards for a swap that Tracy was hosting. These were so much fun to make! But it has been several weeks since I made so I will try to do my best to remember the steps and materials.



  • Smoky Slate card stock 5-1/2" x 8-1/2", scored at 4-1/4"
  • Night of Navy card stock 4" x 5-1/4"
  • Canson Mixed Media Paper 3-3/4" x 5"
  • Paint: turquoise, purple, white, yellow, and orange 
  • Stamps: Everything Eleanor, Happy Day
  • Ink: Night of Navy
  • Accessories: Deco Page, Stazon Jet Black, Large Rhinestones, White Gel Pen, black fine point Sharpie


I started off by brushing on some turquoise, yellow, and orange paint in three sections, then dry brushed over the whole thing with some of the orange paint. This paint was from an older stash so I don't remember the exact color names. I was kind of in a hurry to get these done so I didn't write it down as I went. After this dried I stamped the swirl from Everything Eleanor into the lower left hand corner in Night of Navy ink. I allowed this to dry, the brushed over the whole thing with a layer of Decou Page.


Since both the ink and Decou Page are water based the Decou Page re-activated the ink causing it to smear. This was actually the look I was going for, but you have to have a full brush and only brush over the ink once or your image won't be recognizable any more. (I figured that one out the hard way!). After the Decou Page dried completely I painted on the white border lines in white, the flower with turquoise and the  stem with green paint. After that dried I doodled around the edges with a black Sharpie marker and added some white dots in the center of the flower with my White Gel Pen.


Finally I stamped the greeting from Happy Day onto the paper in Stazon ink, glued this onto the Night of Navy card stock, glued that layer onto the card front, and added one large rhinestone.