Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Widgets

Happy Halloween!

Good Morning Everyone! I spent some time this weekend cleaning up my craft room and sorting through my scraps and getting everything organized again. As a result I found a few scrap pieces that were left over from a few previous projects. So I decided to put them to use to make one more Halloween card. Take a look:


  • Stamps: Wicked Cool, Delightful Dozen
  • DSP: Howlstooth and Scaringbone
  • Card Stock: Basic Gray, Basic Black, Lucky Limeade, Vellum
  • Ink: Basic Gray, Versamark, Basic Black
  • Accessories: Beautiful Butterflies Die, 1/2” Circle Punch, Decorative Label Punch, Silver Glimmer Paper, Black Embossing Powder, Heat Tool, 3/4” Circle Punch, Paper Piercer, Stampin’ Pierce Mat, Stampin’ Dimensionals, bleach, paper towel, plastic container, paint brush, Stazon Re inker, 2-Way Glue Pen, Silver Mini Brads, Glue Dots, Versamarker (retired)


Here is the SCCSC143 sketch that I used on this card. It was created by Susie Nelson: 


I used a few different techniques on this card and all put together it resulted in a really fun Halloween card! I started off by cutting a piece of Basic Gray card stock 5-1/2” x 8-1/2” and scored it at 4-1/4”. I folded up a piece of paper towel and placed it in the bottom of a plastic container then poured on just a little bit of bleach. I inked up my bats stamp from Wicked Cool with the bleach and stamped it onto my Basic Gray card front. Then I cleaned my stamp on another paper towel. You want to be very careful when stamping with bleach to make sure that you don’t end up bleaching any of your ink pads.

After the bleach was completely dry on my card front I stamped the bats again in Basic Gray ink. Next I cut a piece of Basic Black card stock 2-1/2” x 5-1/2”, two pieces of DSP 1-3/8” x 2-1/4”, and one piece of DSP 2-1/4” x 2-1/4”. I adhered the narrower pieces of DSP onto the outside edges of the Basic Black card stock first. Then I adhered the larger piece of DSP between the two. This makes it easier to get the spaces between the three panels even.

Now for the Glimmer Paper. I took a small piece of Silver Glimmer Paper and colored the glimmer paper dark gray by mixing a few drops of Black Stazon Reinker with a few drops of rubbing alcohol and painting it on with a paint brush. I just allowed this to dry and then cut two pieces 1/8” x 2-1/4” and adhered them between the DSP panels with 2-Way Glue Pen.

I had the Vellum circles with the bats left over from my Witch’s Cottage Luminary tutorial, but to make them simply stamp the bats from Wicked Cool onto a piece of Vellum in Versamark ink, cover the stamped image with Black Embossing Powder, and heat with the heat tool. Then just punch out the bats with the 3/4” circle punch. Place the circle onto the outer DSP sections and use a Paper Piercer and Stampin’ Pierce Mat to pierce a hole in the top and bottom of the circle. Add a Silver Mini Brad into each hole and spread the prongs onto the back.


Next I stamped the greeting from Delightful Dozen onto a scrap of Lucky Limeade card stock and used my Decorative Label Punch to punch out the greeting. I adhered the label behind the Basic Black/DSP layer. Then I adhered this layer onto the card front with Stampin’ Dimensionals.


Now for the bat! This bat was left over from a make and take project that I shared with you yesterday. I just used my Versamarker to draw some lines from the center out to the points of the bat wings, covered the marker ink with Black embossing powder, and heated it with my heat tool. Then I took another 1/8” wide strip of gray Glimmer Paper and adhered it into the center of the bat and trimmed the glimmer paper that stuck out past the edge of the Basic Black card stock with Paper Snips. I folded the bat wings in just a little bit to give it some dimension and adhered the bat onto the center DSP panel with a couple Glue Dots.


A little labor intensive if you don’t already have some of the pieces lying around, but I was able to use up some scraps and came up with a pretty fab Halloween card!

I hope you and your family have a safe and happy Halloween!