Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Widgets

DIY Upcycled Sewing Desk

My upcycled super cute and functional garage sale sewing desk is finally done!

For the last several years this is where I have been sewing when I do sew. It's just a cheap plastic folding table with a set of plastic drawers to hold some of my fabric hoard stash. This nice large table also ends up as a catch all that requires 20 minutes of shifting stuff around so I can sew. It also had the tendency to bounce up and down if you started sewing too fast.


A few weeks ago I scored this old sewing desk from a yard sale for only $10. It was sturdy, didn't wobble at all, but needed quite a bit of love. If  you follow me on Instagram you may have already seen some of my in process photos, but in case you didn't here they are! This is what it looked like right after I brought it home. I love the shape, size, and details, but boy it definitely needed some love and sand paper.


It had house wire wrapped through the holes for drawer pulls! Um... I guess it works, but not for me.


So I took it all apart and sanded everything down then filled the holes in the drawer fronts with some wood putty. After the wood putty dried I sanded them again and added just one hole in the center for the drawer pulls I wanted.


Then I got to painting. It seemed like it took FOREVER to get this all painted! I think it took me about three weeks from start to finish. Remember, I work full time so I really only had a little bit of time in the evenings to work on this. But I was so excited to see it complete.


Here it is with the desk portion all nice and white. It took two coats of primer and two coats of Behr Ultra Pure White. This is when I started to really get excited.


And this is what my craft room looked like for three weeks while trying to get this finished. Yikes! What a mess! With very little room to walk around everything too...


Are you ready to see what it looks like now? After what seems like 5000 coats of paint.... here it is!


Here is the materials rundown.
Behr Ultra Pure White


Behr Iconic Sky (drawer fronts). Such a pretty shade of light aqua.


Behr Deep Blue Sea (inside/sides of drawers) to add a fun pop of color. Here you can see my magnetic bowl with my pins that I picked up from the hardware store in a set of magnets. I gave the rest of the kit to my husband. I just wanted the little magnetic bowl. Also a pretty green bowl to hold those thread ends that you clip off as well as other random trash while working away.


I just can't get over how much storage this sweet little desk has in it! I can fit all of my sewing essentials with plenty of extra room.


There is even one large drawer on the bottom right that I have tossed all my fabric scraps in. 


These adorable drawer pulls from HomeDepot.com (this is not a paid advertisement. I just love 'em!)


The white paint was left over from another project and the two shades of blue I bought to re-paint my craft room and I just haven't done it yet. So you could kind of say it's left over from that right??? I'm going with that route.


It is just paint, and it will wear naturally, and I'm totally okay with that. I love how much storage I have now instead of just those three little plastic drawers.


You can't have a great DIY project post without a before and after.....


Now I can't wait to start sewing more!

Linking up to these parties.