Monday, July 28, 2014

Widgets

Pink Crochet Baby Blanket

So there is kind of a funny story about this pretty little blanket. My sister-in-law had just recently shared the news that she was having a baby. I knew I wanted to crochet a baby blanket for her but it was too soon to know if it was a boy or if it was a girl. I'm sure you can see where this is going...

Well I wanted to go ahead and get started on a blanket so I didn't have to rush and could actually get it finished on time instead of the usual procrastination that I do. I figured what the heck... I had a 50/50 chance of getting it right. So I started off with a pink one for a girl. Well just a day or two after I finished this one up I found out she was actually having a boy. I am so happy for her, but it's just my luck to pick the wrong one. I still had plenty of time to make a blue version.


Since this is slightly different from the other pattern here is the pattern for this pink version:

Yarn: Caron Simply Soft in Soft Pink (2 skeins) and Watermelon (2 skeins)
Size H hook

It is an easy granny square and worked up pretty quickly. I think it took about four evenings. In case you want the pattern here it is. 
Starting with Soft Pink: 
Round 1: Ch 6, join with slip stitch to first ch to make a ring. Ch 3, 2 dc in ring. Ch 2, 3 dc in ring. Ch 2, 3 dc in ring. Ch 2, 3 dc in ring. Join with slip stitch to top of ch 3.

Round 2: Ch 3. Turn project over and add 2 dc in the ch space from the previous row. *Ch 3, 3 dc, Ch 1, 3 dc*, repeat from * two more times. Ch 3, 3dc, ch 1, join with slip stitch to top of ch 3. 

Round 3 - 12: Ch 3. Turn project over and add  2 dc in the ch space from the previous row. Continue crocheting dc in sets of 3 with 1 ch between each set the length of the side and 3 ch between each pair of 3 dc on the corners. 

Round 13 - 14: Use Watermelon yarn.

Round 15 - 17: Use Soft Pink yarn.

Round 18 - 19: Use Watermelon yarn.

Round 20 - 22: Use Soft Pink yarn.

Round 23 - 28: Use Watermelon yarn. Bind off

Round 29: Use Watermelon yarn. Begin in one of the corner chain spaces. Single crochet all the way around. Sc 3 stitches in each corner stitch. Join to first sc with slip stitch.

Round 30: Slip stich to the 3rd sc from the corner turn project over sc in that 3rd stitch from the corner. Dc 12 times into the corner sc, skip next 2 sc, sc in next stitch. Skip next 2 sc, *dc 7 times, skip next 2 sc, sc in next stitch*. Repeat from * until you reach the corner. Then dc 12 times in the corner. Repeat until you have gone all the way around the blanket and slip stitch into first sc.

Round 31: Sc in each stitch around, slip stitch into first sc.
Bind off and weave in ends using your preferred method.  


I really love the scalloped edge on this. The final row of single crochet really makes the edges look nice and neat.


Now this pretty pink one is sitting and waiting for a home...

Enjoy the pattern!