Friday, October 25, 2013

Widgets

Happy Birthday Cake!

It's Friday Mashup time! This is the last week that I will be a part of the Friday Mashup Design Team. They are introducing some lovely new designers that will be taking over next week. It has been a lot of fun playing along with the challenges every week.The ladies over at the mashup really know how to get you thinking outside the box! Anyway... here is my card for this week's cake challenge!  


  • Stamps: Cycle Celebration, Make a Wish
  • DSP: Eastern Elegance
  • Card Stock: Whisper White, Smoky Slate, Coastal Cabana
  • Ink: Coastal Cabana, Basic Gray
  • Markers: Smoky Slate, Crushed Curry
  • Accessories: 3/16" Corner Punch, Scallop Trim border punch, Silver Glimmer Paper, 2-Way Glue Pen, Stampin' Dimensionals, Dazzling Details, Basic Gray Stitched Grosgrain ribbon



Here's your Mashup Challenge:
  1. Create a project with the colors "Coastal Cabana, Crushed Curry, Smoky Slate & Basic Grey."
  2. Create a project with a "Cake."
  3. Or Mash it Up and create a project "with a Cake using the colors above."

This was actually a pretty easy cake to put together and decorate! I started off with a 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" piece of Coastal Cabana card stock and scored it at 4-1/4". Next I cut a piece of Whisper White card stock 3-7/8" x 5-1/8" and adhered it onto a 4" x 5-1/4" Smoky Slate card stock.

Next I cut three pieces of Eastern elegance DSP. One was cut at 1-1/2" x 1-3/4", one at 2-1/4" x 2-1/2", and one at 1-1/2" x 3". I used the 3/16" Corner punch on the top two corners of all the DSP squares. I cut a piece of Silver Glimmer Paper 3/8" x 8-1/2" and used the Scallop Trim border punch to add a lovely scalloped edge to that sparkly paper.

I used 2-Way Glue Pen to adhere the glimmery strip at the top of one of the cake layers and used Paper Snips to cut the glimmer paper even with the edge of the DSP. I just kept doing that, gluing down and trimming, until I had each layer with some sparkly icing. Then I used 2-Way Glue pen to adhere the "tiers" of the cake one on top of the other until the cake was all stacked up. I stamped the greeting onto the bottom cake layer in Basic Gray ink.


I placed the cake onto the Whisper White layer and used a pencil to very lightly mark the top corners of the cake. Then I stamped the candle three times inside those two pencil marks in Coastal Cabana ink. The candles were colored in with a Smoky Slate and Crushed Curry markers. I erased my pencil marks then adhered the cake layers onto the Whisper White layer with Stampin' Dimensionals. Then that panel was adhered onto the card front with more Stampin' Dimensionals.


To dress it up a bit I wrapped a piece of Basic Gray Stitched Grosgrain ribbon around the card front and tied it into a bow. Just because it wasn't quite sparkly enough I added some Dazzling Details onto the candle flames.


For the inside I simply stamped the candle from Cycle Celebration all across the bottom in Coastal Cabana ink. Then I stamped the greeting from Make a Wish in Basic Gray ink.


This was such a fun cake to make! And calorie free too!