Friday, June 28, 2013

Widgets

At the Beach!

Not really…I wish I were though. But seeing as I’m in Kansas I would have to travel a really long distance to go to a beach. It doesn’t happen very often. This week’s Friday Mashup is all about the beach! Take a look at the card I made!


  • Stamps: Rain or Shine, Teeny Tiny Wishes, Oh Whale!
  • DSP: Summer Starfruit DSP (retired), Silver Glimmer Paper
  • Card Stock: Island Indigo, Whisper White
  • Ink: Pool Party, Tempting Turquoise, Pacific Point, Early Espresso, Sahara Sand, Baked Brown Sugar, Strawberry Slush, Island Indigo, Illuminate Versamark
  • Markers: Early Espresso, Strawberry Slush, Raspberry Ripple
  • Accessories: Paper Snips, Rhinestones, Stampin’ Dimensionals, 2-Way Glue Pen, Cloudy Day embossing folder (retired), Festive Piercing Pack, Paper-Piercing Tool, Stampin’ Pierce Mat, Aqua Painter, Soft Sky re-inker, Stampin’ Sponge, Color Spritzer Tool, Deco Labels Framelits, Post-It Notes


Here's your Mashup Challenge:
  1. Create a project using the "Masking Technique".
  2. Create a project with some "Beach elements".
  3. Or Mash it Up and create a "Beach'y project using Masking".

I had such.. a… hard… time with this card! I though over the challenge and didn’t get started on it until the day before I needed to have it up on the Friday Mashup site. I was in such a hurry that I didn’t take any step-by-step photos. Sometimes I’m just stumped what to do for a challenge. I seriously stood at my craft table for a good 20 minutes just trying to figure out where to start. I kinda freaked out a little bit… “I don’t have any beach themed stamps!!!” Eeek!

I started out with a piece of Island Indigo card stock cut at 4-1/4” x 11” and scored it at 5-1/2”. I took my Festive Piercing Pack, Paper-Piercing Tool, and Stampin’ Pierce Mat and pierced the largest label shape that would mostly fit on the card front. Next I cut a piece of Summer Starfruit DSP 2” x 5-1/2”. I adhered the DSP onto a 2-1/8” x 5-1/2” piece of Whisper White card stock then adhered this onto the card front.

I knew I wanted to use the new Deco Labels framelits so I used the third from smallest framelit and ran it through the Big Shot with a scrap of Whisper White card stock. I took a long Post-It Note and tore the sticky edge to create the edge of my sand and placed this on the bottom of my card stock. I placed another Post-It Note covering the top half starting right where I wanted my horizon line to be.

I brayered on Pool Party; then brayered on Tempting Turquoise ink not covering the Pool Party entirely; then brayered on Pacific Point ink not covering the Tempting Turquoise entirely to make my ocean. With the Post-It Notes still in place I stamped the waves from Oh Whale! Onto the ocean in Island Indigo, Pool Party, and Illuminate Versamark to give some different colored layers to the ocean.


Next I removed all the Post-It Notes. For the sand I sponged on some Sahara Sand ink. I used my torn Post-It Note as a mask to add some sandy hills with more Sahara Sand ink and a little bit of Baked Brown Sugar ink. I just placed the Post-It Note over the ocean portion and used my Early Espresso Marker with my Color Spritzer Tool to add the speckles to the sand. Now the Post-It Notes can go in the trash.

I ran the image panel through the Big Shot with just the sky portion inside the Cloudy Day embossing folder. Then I used my Aqua Painter filled with rubbing alcohol to lightly apply some Soft Sky ink around the cloud shapes. Finally I stamped the greeting from Teeny Tiny Wishes into the sand in Early Espresso ink.


At this point the image panel looked great, or as good as it was gonna get, but I wanted to add some more depth to the card. So I sponged some Early Espresso ink around the image panel and around the card front. That did the trick!

I had a small piece of Silver Glimmer Paper sitting around that was a little less than 1/8” wide. I cut a short piece of off it and adhered it onto the image panel with some 2-Way Glue Pen to make my amazing beach umbrella handle.

This is the part where I was really stumped. I wanted to use some punches to make a totally cute beach umbrella, but after wasting about an hour I just grabbed my Rain or Shine stamp set and stamped the umbrella in Strawberry Slush ink. I added some shadows with my Strawberry Slush and Raspberry Ripple markers, cut out the umbrella with Paper Snips, and adhered it on top of the glimmer umbrella handle with a Stampin’ Dimensional. I added a small Rhinestone onto the top of the umbrella just for a tiny bit more sparkle.


I like how this one turned out, but boy was it a process to get to the finished product.