Friday, June 14, 2013

Widgets

Washi Wishes!

It’s Friday again! I have another fun and interesting Friday Mashup challenge for you! This one combines a sketch with the brick wall technique. I had such a hard time with this challenge. I ended up making two cards, then realized I hadn’t used the sketch! Back to the drawing board I went. Or actually my craft island. After some more time I came up with the card I’m going to show you now. Once that one was finished I still had another idea for this challenge that I wanted to put to the test. That one I’ll show you Monday.  Anyway…enough rambling…on to today’s card! Take a look!


  • Stamps: Make a Wish
  • Card Stock: Strawberry Slush, Raspberry Ripple, Whisper White
  • Ink: Strawberry Slush, Coastal Cabana, Pacific Point, Night of Navy
  • Accessories: Gingham Garden Washi Tape, Sponge Dauber, Deco Labels Framelits, Argyle embossing folder, Rhinestone Basic Jewels, Stampin’ Dimensionals



Here's your Mashup Challenge:
  1. Create a project using the "Sketch".
  2. Create a project using the "Brick Wall Technique".
  3. Or Mash it Up and create a project using the "Sketch with the Brick Wall Technique".

I started out with a piece of Strawberry Slush card stock cut 5-1/2” x 8-1/2” and scored it at 4-1/4”. Next I cut a piece of Whisper White card stock 3” x 4”. I started layering on my Gingham Garden Washi Tape tearing it into different length “bricks” and placing it on the Whisper White card stock. My first two rows were nice and straight, but then it went crazy after that. Oh well… I decided to embrace the imperfection. Even though it still drives me crazy that it’s crooked.

I decided I wanted to add a fun ombre look to this so I took my sponge daubers and sponged on Coastal Cabana ink, Pacific Point ink, and Night of Navy ink to make the panel gradually darker as it goes down. The fun part… Washi Tape resists the ink! I just spritzed a paper towel with some water from my Stampin’ Mister and wiped off the Washi Tape. So cool!


I adhered this panel onto the bottom of the card front. Then I put just the top portion of the card front inside the Argyle embossing folder and ran it through the big shot to add the fabulous texture. I stamped the greeting from Make a Wish onto a scrap of Whisper White card stock in Strawberry Slush ink and cut it out with the smallest Deco Labels framelit. I cut out a scrap of Raspberry Ripple with the second from smallest Deco Labels framelit and adhered it behind the greeting label. I added a medium Rhinestone onto either side of the greeting and adhered the label onto the card front with a couple Stampin’ Dimensionals.


Now this very loosely follows the sketch, but I think it still counts.

If you have a chance head on over to the Friday Mashup to see what the rest of the design team has created and to link up your project!