Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Widgets

Earth Elements - Old Olive

More cards for swaps!!! Yay! Here is the first card that I made for the Earth Elements swap using the Medallion background stamp which is one of my absolute favorite stamps!



Stamps: Medallion, Warm Words
Cardstock: Sahara Sand, Very Vanilla
Ink: Sahara Sand, Old Olive
Accessories: Old Olive 5/8 in. Grosgrain Ribbon, Very Vanilla Hodgepodge Hardware (brads), Scallop Oval Punch, Curly Label Punch.

The card base is Sahara Sand cut at 4 ¼ in. x 5 ½ in. and scored at 4 ¼ in. The next layer is Very Vanilla cardstock cut at 4 in. x 5 ¼ in. and this is adhered to the card front. The layer after that is Sahara Sand cut at 3 ¾ in. x 5 in. and sponged around the edge with Old Olive ink. The main image panel is Very Vanilla cut at 3 5/8 in. x 4 7/8 in. I inked up my Medallion stamp first with Sahara Sand and used the Rock-N-Roll technique to add Old Olive to the edge of the Medallion and stamped this on the Very Vanilla cardstock.

The Rock N Roll technique is where you ink up the stamp with a light color and roll the edges of the stamp in a darker color ink and then stamp your image onto the cardstock. Here is the link to this tutorial on Splitcoaststampers.com

I adhered the main image panel to the sponged Sahara Sand panel and added the Old Olive 5/8 in. Grosgrain Ribbon around the panel. I used the Curly Label Punch on some scraps of Old Olive cardstock. I stamped “happiness” from Warm Words (I absolutely LOVE this set! It works for anything!) in Old Olive ink on scraps of Very Vanilla cardstock leaving a lot of space between each image. Then I used the Scalloped Oval Punch to punch out the sentiment and then sponged the edges with Sahara Sand ink.

Note: When you want a stamped image on a punched paper always stamp first! This allows you to hold the punch upside down and center your image within the punch window. Then punch. This is the easiest way to always get an image centered on a punched piece of paper.

The Very Vanilla scalloped oval was adhered in the center of the Old Olive curly label. I then adhered this to my ribbon on my main image panel. (You don’t have to use adhesive here, but I like to that way my image stays in place while I punch the holes for the brads.) I used my needle tool and foam mat to punch the holes for two Very Vanilla brads from the Very Vanilla Hodgepodge Hardware kit. Adhere this main image panel to the card front and you’re done! Come back tomorrow to see the other Earth Elements swap!