Friday, September 23, 2011

Widgets

Friend to Friend

Good morning all! Today I've got a sketch challenge to share with you! I know it's been a while since I've posted a sketch. It's not that I haven't been doing them, I just haven't ha d a chance to share them with you. Well here it is:


Here is the sketch created by Liz Goldhawk:


Stamps: Gently Falling, Teeny Tiny Wishes
Cardstock: Crumb Cake, Pool Party, Very Vanilla
DSP: Spice Cake Designer Series Paper
Ink: Early Espresso, Lucky Limeade, Pool Party, Versamark
Accessories: Circle Scissors Plus, Snow Burst Textured Impressions Embossing Folder, Modern Label Punch, Paper Piercer, Mat Pack, Gold Brads, Gold Embossing Poweder, Embossing Buddy, Heat Tool, Paper Snips, Stampin' Dimensionals, 5/8" Old Olive Satin Ribbon, Simply Score, Aquapainter, Mini Glue Dots, Pear Pizzaz re-inker.

The card base is Crumb Cake cardstock cut at 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" and scored at 4 1/4". On the right hand side I added some raised score lines with the Simply Score. I added five lines spaced 1/4" apart and then four lines spaced 1/8" apart. This just adds a subtle detail to the right portion of the card that would otherwise be blank.

Not I've made several cards (many that I have yet to share) where I used Spice Cake DSP, Crumb Cake cardstock, and Very Vanilla cardstock and sponged EVERYTHING. Well this one I decided that even though I wanted to sponge it and make it look so aged and pretty I was going to leave the edges clean and simple instead just to do something different than what I've made lately. I'm glad I did because I really do love how this card came out.

One pattern of Spice Cake DSP was cut at 2 1/2" x 4" and was adhered to the left side of the card front. Next a strip of DSP in another pattern was cut at 3/4" x 4 1/4" and was adhered on top of the first piece of DSP.

Next I cut a 3 1/4" circle from Pool Party cardstock using the Circle Scissors Plus. I don't have all of the circle dies yet or I would have just used the die in the Big Shot. I will have to fix that sometime soon. The Pool Party circle was then run through the Big Shot in the Snow Burst Textured Impressions Embossing Folder. This was adhered to the center of the card front.

Now for the leaves. I stamped the long leaf in Pool Party ink and used the Rock-N-Roll technique to add some Early Espresso ink to the edges of the image and then stamped it onto a scrap of Very Vanilla cardstock. For the other leaf I used the Rock-N-roll technique with Lucky Limeade and Early Espresso ink before stamping it onto the scrap of Very Vanilla cardstock.

The stamped images were rubbed over with the Embossing Buddy and then I stamped the outline images in Versamark. After adding Gold Embossing powder and tapping off the excess I heated it with the Heat Tool to get the shiny pretty gold edging on my leaves. Next is the magic part. I used some Pear Pizzaz re-inker onto a piece of plastic that was headed for the trash can. I picked up just a little bit of color onto an Aquapainter and colored over the entire leaf with the re-inker and Aquapainter. For the Pool Party leaf I just colored over it with only the Aquapainter and clear water (no re-inker). By getting the stamped images moist with the Aquapainter the ink on the stamped images runs together a little bit and gives the edges more of a mottled look.

The leaves were cut out with Paper snips and after they dried completely they were adhered to the card front with Stampin' Dimensionas. The greeting from Teeny Tiny Wishes was stamped in Early Espresso ink onto a scrap of Very Vanilla cardstock. This was punched out with the Modern Label Punch. The Paper Piercer and Mat Pack were used to pierce a hole in each end of the label where a gold brad was added. The label was then adhered to the card front with Stampin' Dimensionals. Finally a knot was tied into a short piece of 5/8" Old Olive Satin Ribbon and the knot was adhered to the card front with Mini Glue Dots.


Lots of steps and lots of layers and texture, but I love the overall look. I hope you get a chance to try this method for stamping your leaves it really is fun and the finished look is a fabulous addition to any fall project! I think I explained it okay, but I think I will do a tutorial for the leaves called Rock-N-Roll Watercolor. Look for it later this weekend or next week!

Thanks for stopping by!