Monday, July 5, 2010

Widgets

Black and Grey Flourishes

Recently I participated in a swap on Stampin’ Connection. The idea was to make a card that was entirely black and white with a little splash of color. But the color could not be ink or cardstock. Tricky huh? Well this is the first of the cards that I came up with and the “splash” of color is Very Vanilla!



Stamps: Friends 24-7, Baroque Motifs
Cardstock: Basic Black, Whisper White
Ink: Basic Black
Accessories: Vanilla Hodgepodge Hardware, 5/8” Vanilla Satin ribbon, Stamp-A-Ma-Jig, Designer Label Punch


The card base is Whisper White cardstock cut at 4 ¼” x 11” and scored at 5 ½”. The image panel is a piece of Whisper White cardstock cut at 3 7/8” x 5 1/8”. I then used the Stamp-A-Ma-Jig with the flourish from Friends 24-7 and Basic Black ink to make my own designer paper. After the patterned paper was completed I used the swirls from Baroque Motifs inked up with Basic Black, but before I stamped the image panel I stamped a couple of times on a piece of scrap paper and then stamped on the image panel. This made the image in a shade of grey that looks to be behind the Basic Black flourishes even though it was from the same ink pad. This technique is called stamping off.

The image panel was then adhered to a piece of Basic Black cardstock cut at 4 1/8” x 5 3/8”. On a piece of scrap Whisper White cardstock I stamped the swirls from Baroque Motifs just like I did earlier by stamping off. Then I used the sentiment from Friends 24-7 in Basic Black ink on top of the swirls. This was then punched out with the Designer Label punch. I added the label to the front of the image panel using the Designer Label hardware and brads from the Very Vanilla Hodgepodge Hardware kit.

The image panel was adhered to the card base and a piece of 5/8” Very Vanilla Satin ribbon was added and tied into a knot. I really like how elegant this one turned out. Making the designer paper took a little while, but it was well worth it!

Come back tomorrow to see the other card I made for the Black and White with a Splash Swap! I just know you’ll love it!