Monday, February 9, 2015

Widgets

Heart Jar Candle Holder

Do you love decorating your home for all sorts of holidays? I really like to dress up my mantle as the seasons and holidays change. But I realized this year that I don't have any Valentine's Day decorations. None. At all. So I got started fixing that. Last week I made a burlap heart banner and today I have two more fun yet easy projects to share with you. First off, a heart jar candle holder. These are all over Pinterest and they look so cute so I thought I would try my hand at making one.





~ Supplies ~

Canning jar
Americana Chalkboard Paint
DecoArt Glass Paint Marker in White
heart punch
vinyl
rubbing alcohol
paper towel
paint brush
craft knife
gold baker's twine

Start off by putting some rubbing alcohol onto a paper towel and wiping off the outside of the jar. This will remove any oils or dirt that would keep the paint from sticking. After you clean it off make sure that you do not touch the outside of the jar with your fingers. The oil from your hands can prevent the paint from sticking. 


Use a heart punch and punch out a piece of vinyl. Remove the backing and press your vinyl heart onto the jar really well. 


Brush on some Americana Chalkboard Paint. I did a total of three coats allowing it to dry about 20 minutes between each coat. Once your paint is dry take a craft knife and use it to cut the paint around your heart. Then peel up your vinyl heart. If you don't gently cut the paint around your heart you can end up peeling some of the paint off your glass when you pull the heart up. How do I know? Lets just say that this jar was try #2. 


Now take the DecoArt Glass Paint Marker and add stitch lines around the heart.


Finally take some baker's twine (I think mine was about 36" long) and wrap it around the top of the jar and tie it into a bow. When I don't have a candle in the jar I stuff it with some scraps of white fabric. Just make sure you take the fabric out before putting a lit candle inside!


I was able to carefully salvage the first jar I tried out and now they both look totally adorable on either side of my wedding photo. My Valentine's decor could still use a little bit more umph but it's cute enough for now.