Sunday, March 23, 2014

Widgets

I Am...

Here is another fun Mixed Media Monday inspired project! I followed along with Tracy and painted this lovely last week.




  • Paint (DecoArt): Whispering Turquoise, Citron Green, Titanium White, Turquoise Waters, Decou Page
  • Paper: Basic Gray
  • Stencil: Heidi Swapp butterflies
  • Other: molding past, fine point sharpie, pan pastels, Basic Black stampin' spot, black pastel pencil, The Paper Studio gemstones, workable fixative, flat brush, and round brush


The chevron patterned paper in the background that you can barely see is Basic Gray from one of my Frosted Designs kits. That's all I know. I was too happy to work on something fun that I didn't pay attention to the collection it came from. That was stuck down with some decoupage.


I painted on the blue and green thinned down with a little bit of water to make it kind of a wash. Once that dried I took the lacy laser cut paper from the retired Stampin' Up Flirtatious DSP pack that I could never figure out how to use and I placed it over the paper and sprayed Maya Mist in White Out then picked up the lacy paper.

This stuff takes FOREVER to dry and I am one impatient crafter. I let it sit and just cleaned up around by craft room for about 10 minutes but it still wasn't dry so I heated it up with my heat tool for about five more minutes and some places still weren't dry. Maybe I'm spraying it on too heavy?

Next I painted on some loopy flowers in titanium white. Then I took the end of my paint brush (not the brush end) dabbed it in white paint, and added lots and lots of white dots around the inside and outside of my flower petals.


I took some Pan Pastel in a bright pink shade and added that inside my flower petals. That really made those dots pop! Some yellow Pan Pastel was used to add color to the flower centers. Next up some doodling with a sharpie. Then i used some molding paste to add these butterflies with a stencil. I heated that with my heat tool to speed up the drying process and they puffed up creating some wonderful texture. More Pan Pastel here in the same pink. Then I laid the stencil back over the butterflies and sprayed on some gold mist.


The large I Am was free handed with a flat brush and some citron paint. Then I went around the letters and the butterflies with my pastel pencil to add some shadows and grunginess. 


I took a fine point sharpie to add some words of what I am around the flower on the bottom. Then I went around the edges of the paper with a Basic Black Stampin' Spot to grunge it up some more.


Finally I added a nice coat of workable fixative to make sure that my pastels didn't wipe off. Once that dried I added the three gemstones for my dot dot dot.


I am totally loving this page and I was so happy to get the time just to paint along with Tracy and have some fun. I'm linking this to Tracy's March Creative Dare. Hop on over to see what some of the other ladies have made!

Linking up here:
Art Journal Every Day at Balzer Designs