Monday, January 13, 2014

Widgets

Mother's Plaque

This rather large wall plaque I made for my cousin for Christmas. I just  loved this picture that I took of her and her little guy this last spring. The expressions on both of them are just priceless! So I edited it and added the shadowed vignette to the photo in Photoshop and had an 8" x 10" printed. 



The great thing about this project is that it was VERY inexpensive. Other than the photo I just used what I had on hand. I cut three pieces of wainscoting left over from our bathroom remodel (which I still haven't shared) and cut them to length. Then I took a scrap of 1 x 1 pine that was laying around and cut three pieces to support the wainscoting. Then I just added some wood glue and a few staples from the front to attach the wainscoting to the 1 x 1. You can see on the back were I missed in a couple places :-). 


Then I coated it with a couple coats of house paint I had laying around the house. I cut the words on my Silhouette Cameo in some gold vinyl and carefully applied it onto the bottom of the plaque. Then I coated it with some glossy spray sealer to really hold in that vinyl and protect it. To finish the photo I cut a mat from some scrap thick chipboard that came with some designer paper, painted it with Charcoal DecoArt acrylic paint, glued my photo onto the mat with some Multipurpose Liquid Adhesive, then glued the mat with photo onto the plaque with hot glue.


So easy and so very pretty! I may have to re-create one of these for my house, with a different photo and message of course. I am so very pleased with how this came out!