Friday, December 2, 2011

Widgets

Glass Christmas Ornaments

Here is the gift for Day 2 of the 12 Days of Christmas! I found these great oval shaped bevled glass ornaments at an antique store in Parkville, Missouri. They were really cheap and I just knew they would make fabulous ornaments.

So here they are:

Front of the first one: 

Back of the first one:  

Front of the second one: 

 Back of the second one:
Stamps: All Holidays (retired), Bells & Boughs, Dasher
Cardstock: Very Vanilla
DSP: Deck the Halls DSP (retired)
Ink: Real Red, Crumb Cake, Chocolate Chip, Versamark
Markers: Versamarker
Accessories: 5/8" Chocolate Chip Grosgrain Ribbon, Dazzling Details, Crystal Effects, Paper Snips, craft knife, pencil, Gold Embossing Powder, Ovals die, Stampin' Sponge, Heat Tool

A tutorial for these will be coming soon! I have to get more of these beveled glass ornaments first! But in the mean time here is how I did it.

To add the embossed Dasher first clean the beveled side of your ornament with rubbing alcohol. Then ink up Dasher in Versamark ink and stamp it onto the glass. Press down really well. Pour your embossing powder over the stamped image, tap off the excess, and heat it with the heat tool. It will take a long time to emboss the image because you have to wait for the glass to heat up. Now if your Dasher image didn't come out perfect then use a Versamarker to color in the spots that need more embossing powder, pour the powder on, tap off the excess, and heat the image again with the heat tool. Now this is important...THE GLASS WILL BE VERY HOT, DO NOT TOUCH IT, JUST LEAVE IT WHERE IT IS AND LET IT COOL FOR A GOOD 15 MINUTES.

          Note: You have to stamp and emboss your image before you adhere the DSP to the back of the ornament. If you try to emboss the image after the DSP is adhered to the back of the ornament the heat will cause the glue to un-attach from the glass. The reason I know.....well....lets just say I started out with three ornaments but only finished with two.

After the ornament cooled I placed the beveled glass ornament on top of the DSP that I wanted to use and traced around it with a circle. Then I cut around the pencil line leaving about 1/4" extra DSP around the pencil line. I cleaned the flat side of the glass ornament with rubbing alcohol. After the alcohol dried I liberally applied Crystal Effects to the entire ornament. You will need to just about cover the ornament with Crystal Effects. Then I placed the ornament onto the DSP and pressed the glass onto the paper and wiggled it a little to remove any air bubbles. Allow this to dry overnight.

Trim the extra paper off around the ornament with Paper Snips and cut the paper out of the hole with a craft knife. I then cut out an oval from a scrap of Very Vanilla cardstock and stamped it with the image from Bells & Boughs in Crumb Cake ink. The greeting from All Holidays was stamped in Real Red ink. I heat set the ink with my Heat Tool and adhered the oval to the backside of the DSP with Anywhere Glue Stick. I applied Dazzling Details around the edge of my oval and allowed it to dry completely. Then I completely covered the back of the ornament with Crystal Effects to seal in the paper. Just add some ribbon to hang the ornament with and you're done!

Thanks for stopping by!