Thursday, July 12, 2012

Widgets

Butterfly Birthday

Good afternoon everyone! I hope you're enjoying  your summer so far! Sorry I've been mostly MIA for a while. I've been super busy lately. I actually have two orders for my Krafting Kreations Invitations business so far and I'm super excited. One is a friend and the other is a distant family relation, but it's a start! Remember, if you know someone who would might be interested in some handmade invitations for a wedding or a party, or Christmas cards, or favors please point them my way!

This card I whipped up last night for the SCCSC127 Sketch Challenge on Stampin' Connection. Take a look:



  • Stamps: Papillion Potpourri, Bring on the Cake
  • Card Stock: Soft Suede, Midnight Muse, Summer Starfruit, Marina Mist
  • DSP: Comfort Cafe
  • Ink: Midnight Muse, Summer Starfruit, Marina Mist
  • Accessories: Delicate Butterfly Punch, 1 Inch Square Punch, Rhinestones, Mini Glue Dots, Sponge Dauber

Here is the sketch that was created by Liz Goldhawk: 



I really wanted the pendants and the butterflies to stand out on this card, so I stuck with more neutral colors for the card base and background. I started off with a piece of Soft Suede card stock cut at 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" and scored at 4-1/4". Next I cut a piece of Comfort Cafe DSP 4" x 5-1/4", stamped the greeting from Bring on the Cake in the lower right hand corner with Midnight Muse ink, and adhered the DSP onto the card front. 

I cut strips of Midnight Muse, Summer Starfruit, and Marina Mist card stock 1" x 3-1/4". To create the dove-tail shape in the end I used the 1 Inch Square Punch. This makes it easy to get the cuts straight, centered, and even. I adhered the strips onto my card and then trimmed off the excess that extended past the fold of the card.  One helpful tip, when adhering three strips that you want evenly spaced across the card I find it easier to adhere the two outside ones first and get them close to the same distance away from the edge of the card, then you can adhere the center one evenly between the outside two. That way if you are off just a little bit it's not quite as noticeable as it is when the middle spaces are uneven.

Now I was ready for the butterflies. I really liked how the print in this particular butterfly image mimics the pattern in the DSP. I stamped one butterfly in Midnight Muse, Summer Starfruit, and Marina Mist onto a scrap of Whisper White card stock. The butterflies were punched out with the Delicate Butterfly Punch and the edges were sponged with their respective colors.


I adhered the butterflies onto the card front with Mini Glue Dots and added three rhinestones into the center of each butterfly to add a bit of sparkle! Because you gotta have some sparkle!  

I just got lots of new goodies from the Holiday Mini Catalog yesterday. Hopefully I will get a chance to play with them some this weekend to share with you next week!

Thanks for stopping by!