Thursday, March 22, 2012

Widgets

Simply Soft

I actually had a chance to play with a sketch challenge last night. It took quite a while to make something work. It was just one of those days where I couldn't put anything together that I liked, so this one took a lot of effort. I used the Friday Mashup challenge. The challenge was to create a card with the sketch, with the mother of pearl technique, or both. I chose to do both. If you are not familiar with the mother of pearl technique you can find the tutorial for it HERE. Although I'm posting it too late to actually enter it in the challenge. Anyway... here is the card that I managed to get together.


  • Stamps: Simply Soft
  • Card Stock: Baja Breeze, WhisperWhite
  • DSP: Twitterpated
  • Ink: Basic Grey, Baja Breeze, Black Stazon, Cherry Cobbler
  • Accessories: 5/8" Basic Grey Satin Ribbon, Lucky Limeade marker, Blender Pen, White Gel Pen, Dazzling Details, Frost White Shimmer Paint, Stampin' Sponge, Stampin' Dimensionals, plastic wrap, Blossom Punch, Paper Snips, Two-Way Glue Pen


I started off with a Baja Breeze card base that was cut at 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" and scored at 4-1/4. Then I cut a piece of Whisper White card stock 3-7/8" x 5-1/8". Then I searched through the Twitterpated DSP pack for the papers that I wanted to use. I really like how soft the Basic Grey looks against the other colors, so I went with the patterns that used Basic Grey. 

The top piece of DSP was cut at 3-5/8" x 2-5/8". The bottom piece of DSP was cut at 3-5/8" x 2-1/4". The two pieces of DSP were adhered onto the Whisper White card stock. Then I wrapped a piece of 5/8" Basic Grey Satin Ribbon around the panel covering where the DSP pieces meet and tied the ribbon into a knot. 

Next I used the Blossom punch to punch a flower from a scrap of Whisper White card stock and from a scrap of Baja Breeze card stock. The Baja Breeze flower was set aside. I stamped the flowers from Simply Soft onto the Whisper White flower in Black Stazon ink. 

Then I used the Lucky Limeade marker to color in the stems and leaves on the flower. To color in the blossoms I used the Blender Pen with my Cherry Cobbler ink pad. With the ink pad closed squeeze in the middle of the pad, then open the pad half-way. You will see that there is some ink on the lid. Use the Blender Pen to pick up the ink a little at a time and color in your flowers. This is a really easy way to get a soft look to your flowers and blend the light and dark areas. 


Once I had the flowers all colored in I put a little bit of Frost White Shimmer Paint into a container, you only need one drop of paint! Then I scrunched up a piece of plastic wrap, dabbed it into the paint several times, then I dabbed the plastic wrap onto the flower several times. I allowed the paint to dry for a couple of minutes, then I sponged Baja Breeze ink over the entire flower.

Now we can play with the Baja Breeze flower. I used Paper Snips to cut between all of the petals so I ended up with six individual petals. Then I used the Two-Way Glue Pen to adhere each of the Baja Breeze petals behind the petals on the stamped flower. After all the petals were adhered on I sponged around the edges with Basic Grey ink.

I adhered the flower onto the card front with a couple Stampin' Dimensionals. I added some White Gel Pen onto the stamens of each of the flowers and then applied Dazzling Details on top of the stamens to give the flower a little more sparkle.

I really like the color combination on this one, the Basic Grey looks surprisingly soft against the Baja Breeze and Whisper White. What do you think?

Thanks for stopping by!