Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Widgets

Mixed Bunch Layers

Hello everyone! Today I have another card from the March Make and Take to share with you! This one uses a technique that I've seen all over the internet using the Blossom Punch. Take a look: 


  • Stamps: Curly Cute
  • Card Stock: Crumb Cake, Cherry Cobbler, Daffodil Delight, Whisper White, Not Quite Navy
  • DSP: Twitterpated
  • Ink: Not Quite Navy
  • Accessories: Brights Designer Buttons, 1/8" Daffodil Delight Taffeta Ribbon, Blossom Punch, Boho Blossom Punch, Paper Snips, Stampin' Dimensionals, Elegant Lines embossing folder, Corner Rounder punch

To start off I cut a piece of Crumb Cake card stock 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" and scored it at 4-1/4". I punched all four corners of the card with the Corner Rounder punch. Next I cut a piece of Twitterpated DSP 3" x 3" and adhered it onto the top section of the card front. 

Then I cut a piece of Whisper White card stock 3" x 3" and ran it through the Big Shot in the Elegant Lines embossing folder. The now textured Whisper White card stock was adhered onto a 3-1/4" x 3-1/4" piece of Cherry Cobbler card stock. Next I used the Blossom punch to punch out the flower in the card stock. It is possible to punch through two layers of card stock with this punch, just place the punch on the table up-side down, align your card stock, and punch down hard. 

I adhered this punched panel on top of the DSP with Stampin' Dimensionals. This way you see the pattern of the DSP inside the punch, but you can also see the definite shadow that the raised punched layer creates! Totally awesome! Now I couldn't leave the center of the flower naked and boring, so I used my Boho Blossoms punch on a scrap of Not Quite Navy card stock to punch out the largest flower. I curled the petals a little bit with my bone folder and adhered the flower into the center of the punched flower. 

Then I cut a short length of 1/8" Daffodil Delight Taffeta ribbon and inserted it through the holes of a blue button from the Brights Designer Buttons. I tied the ribbon into a knot, trimmed the ends with Paper Snips, then adhered the button on top of the Not Quite Navy flower with a Stampin' Dimensional. Now the center of the flower isn't so naked any more and we've got a fun color combination going on here. So I just continued the color combo for the greeting.


The greeting from Curly Cute was stamped in Not Quite Navy ink onto a 7/8" x 4" strip of Whisper White card stock. I adhered the stamped greeting strip onto a 1" x 4" strip of Daffodil Delight card stock. Then I used my Paper Snips to cut a dove-tail in one end of the greeting strip. I adhered the greeting strip onto the bottom of the card front and it was done!


The raised punched layer is such a fun technique to use (not sure what it's called). I bet it would look fabulous with just about any shape! The only thing I wish I had done differently would be to use a background stamp on the Crumb Cake card front. But I still like it, and so did the ladies at the Make and Take! What do you think? Have you been using this technique lately too?

Thanks for stopping by!