Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Widgets

Kelly's Birthday Present

Today I'm going to share with you the gift I made for my sister Kelly for her birthday. For her gift I gave her a handmade necklace, earrings, and bracelet set. I couldn't get a good picture of the bracelet, but here is the necklace and earrings. The jewelry was from a kit and I just put it together.

There are three things that my sister absolutely loves! Pink, glitter, and polka dots! She comes to my Make and Takes regularly and is always saying that this needs sparkle, or that needs some bling. So I wanted to make sure that her card and gift box had lots and lots of sparkle and bling! I think I succeeded.



Here is the box that I made for her jewelry to go in.




I will do a tutorial on the box later this week so you can see how it went together. Here are the supplies I used.

Stamps: Delicate Doilies
Cardstock: Whisper White, Pink Pirouette, Melon Mambo, Pretty in Pink
DSP: Flirtatious
Ink: Pink Pirouette, Pretty in Pink, Melon Mambo, Versamark
Accessories: Heat & Stick Powder, Dazzling Dimaonds glitter, 2 3/8" Scalloped Circle Punch, Paper Piercer, Brad, Crimper, Basic Black Dotted Scalloped Ribbon, Simply Score, Scallop Edge Border Punch, Paper Snips, Sticky Strip, Vanilla Smooch Spritz, Pennant Die

I have to share a funny story about this box. I was running out of time Friday and needed to finish the flower for the top of the box. I had everything else done but that flower. So I had everything punched and crimped and put the rest of the tools in a stamp box and took it with me to finish in the truck on the way to the party. Talk about last minute right?

Well they were having a shrimp boil for dinner (which was absolutely fabulous!) but my husband doesn't eat seafood so he was going by Burger King to get him something for dinner. I get the flower assembled and wanted to add some Vanilla Smooch to make the flower glittery too. It had to have lots of bling remember? So here we are in the drive through while he is waiting for his food. I open the door and have the flower in my hand holding it out so I can spray the smooch spritz on. I wonder what the people behind us were thinking.... Oh well.

So we arrive at the party and the box is JUST finished, I have glitter all over my hand from spraying the flower while holding it and I still need to get pictures of everything to share with you! So I rush into Kelly's craft room and quickly snap the shots of the gift box and the card. Phew! But I got it done in time!
Kelly got a kick out of the story that involved the flower and the Burger King drive through. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I really wanted that flower on that box and it HAD to be sparkly. Yep.....I'm crazy. Oh well.

Here is the card:

Of course the card just HAD to match the box! Oh! Did I mention that she likes owls too? She is also a paper crafter so I wanted to make sure her card was over the top!



Stamps: Delicate Doilies, Happiest Birthday Wishes
Cardstock: Melon Mambo, Whisper White, Pink Pirouette
DSP: Flirtatious
Ink: Pink Pirouette, Pretty in Pink, Melon Mambo, Versamark
Accessories: Owl Punch, Pennant Die, Bitty Flower Punch, Basic Rhinestones Jewel Accents, Embossing Buddy, Silver Embossing Powder, Heat Tool, Heat & Stick Powder, Dazzling Diamonds, Stampin' Dimensionals, Silver Glimmer Paper, Stampin' Sponge, Basic Black Dotted Scallop Ribbon, Hobby Blade, Mini Glue Dots

The card base is Melon Mambo cardstock cut at 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" and scored at 4 1/4". Next a piece of Whisper White cardstock was cut at 3 3/4" x 5". The images from Delicate Doilies were stamped in Pink Pirouette, Pretty in Pink, and Melon Mambo to create the pattern. The Embossing Buddy was rubbed over the bottom portion of the stamped Whisper White cardstock. The greeting from Happiest Birthday Wishes was stamped in Versamark ink and Silver Embossing Powder was poured over the stamped image. After the excess powder was tapped off the embossing powder was heated with the Heat Tool.

The stamped Whisper White cardstock was adhered to a 4" x 5 1/4" piece of Pink Pirouette cardstock. Then this panel was adhered to the card front. The Hobby Blade was used to cut a slit in the fold of the card where I wanted the ribbon. Then a piece of Basic Black Dotted Scallop Ribbon was inserted through the slit, wrapped around the card front, and tied into a knot. The back of the knot was then glued to the card front with a couple Mini Glue Dots.


Now for the doily. A piece of Melon Mambo cardstock was run through the Big Shot on the Perfect Pennants die to get one of the scalloped circles. This was set aside. Next I got out my piece of Flirtatious DSP that has the laser cut doilies on it and cut out one of the doilies with Paper Snips. I applied Versamark by patting the ink pad directly onto the paper doily several times until it was covered with ink. Then I poured some Heat & Stick powder over the inked paper doily. The Heat & Stick powder was melted with the Heat Tool and Dazzling Dimonds glitter was quickly poured over the warm Heat & Stick. The excess glitter is tapped off and the image is heated again with the heat tool quickly just to set the glitter in the adhesive powder. Now you have a really glitter doily! I adhered the glittery doily on top of the Melon Mambo die cut scalloped circle doily from the pennant die. Stampin' Dimensionals were added to the back and this was adhered to card front.  


The owl body was punched from Whisper White cardstock. The Eyes are Very Vanilla, Whisper White, and Basic Grey. The belly is Silver Glimmer Paper that was sponged with Pink Pirouette and heated with the Heat Tool to set the ink. Then the belly was punched out and adhered to the owl body. The flower was created by punching two Pink Pirouette flowers using the flower punch from the Punch Pack. The edges of the flowers were sponged with Melon Mambo ink and were adhered together. The basic rhinestones strip was added to the owl's head and the flower was adhered on top of the owls ear. A single basic rhinestone was added in the center of the flower. The owl was adhered to the center of the glittery doily with Stampin' Dimensionals.