Monday, October 31, 2011

Widgets

Black Rose Box

I was playing around with a fabulous Milk Carton Box tutorial that was created by Sunghee at Creativity In Progress. I will have the links to both of the tutorials that I used on this project at the end of the post.


Cardstock: Basic Black, Concord Crush, Lucky Limeade
DSP: Spice Cake
Ink: Basic Black, Early Espresso
Accessories: Mini Milk Carton Die, Owl Punch, 1 ¾” x 7/8” Oval Punch, Crimper, Tombow Multi-Purpose Adhesive, Dazzling Diamonds, Dazzling Details, Mini Glue Dots, Stampin’ Sponge, Scallop Edge Border Punch, 2 3/8” Scalloped Circle Punch, Paper Snips, Sticky Strip

Anyway… I made this little black milk carton box out of Basic Black cardstock just to try out the tutorial and it was sitting there on my work table. I just had to decorate it, so I decided to make a Halloween themed gift box. I wrapped the box bottom with a strip of Spice Cake DSP. Then I wrapped the top of the box with another pattern from the Spice Cake DSP.

I had another one of those 1/8” strips of cardstock on my table so I adhered that to the box top. The width was a little uneven where the strip ends met, so that meant I had to use something to cover the seam, which also means adding one to the center of all six sides. So I punched out six circles from Basic Black cardstock using the largest circle in the Owl Punch. I glued the circles on the sides of the lid and applied Dazzling Details to the circles to give them some sparkle.

For the rose I used Valita’s Owl Punch Rose tutorial. I used Concord Crush cardstock sponged with Basic Black ink for the flower petals. After the rose was completely formed I edged each petal and the center with Tombow Multi-Purpose Adhesive and then sprinkled Dazzling Diamonds glitter over the glue and tapped off the excess. The rose was set aside to dry while I created the leaves.

The leaves were made by punching Lucky Limeade cardstock three times with the 1 ¾” x 7/8” Oval Punch. The leaves were then folded in half and run through the crimper at an angle. Once you un-fold the cardstock you now have a leaf with veins! The leaves were sponged with Early Espresso ink and adhered underneath the rose. The rose was adhered to the box top with LOTS of Sticky Strip.


I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how this black rose looks! Such a deep pretty purple with sparkles! Okay…so I’m really excited about this project. Anyway… here are the tutorials I used:

Mini Milk Carton Boxes by Sungee

Owl Punch Rose by Valita

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you’ve enjoyed all of my Halloween projects!