Monday, September 20, 2010

Widgets

Masking Tutorial

As promised I have a tutorial for you today! This tutorial is on the Masking technique. Lets get started.

For this tutorial you will need a stamp set, classic black ink (I accidentally grabbed the craft before taking this photo, you really want to use classic ink), post it notes, paper snips.



Stamp your images that you want masked onto the post it notes. I've chosen to use Fifth Avenue Floral for my images.




Trim out around your image. Make sure you trim right up to the line.


Stamp your first image on the cardstock. Here I am using Whisper White cardstock. I plan on coloring these in later so I am stamping with Black Stazon onto the cardstock.


Place your mask over the top of the flower you already stamped. I like to use post it notes because if you stamp and cut on the sticky portion then your mask will stick to the cardstock without damaging it.


Stamp your next image. The mask prevents the lines from this image from being inside the first flower that you stamped.


Continue stamping and placing the mask until you get the finished result you are happy with. Artistically speaking you want to work from front to back when masking. You'll be able to see what I mean when I reveal the panel at the end.


I want a few more flowers on my cardstock so I just keep going using the same steps as before. Stamp and place the mask.






Once you've stamped all you want to remove all of your masks.


Voila! Now you have your images so that it looks like the lilies are in front and the roses are in the back instead of overlapping flower outlines.


Stamps: Fifth Avenue Floral
Cardstock: Rich Razzleberry, Whisper White
Ink: Riding Hood Red, Melon Mambo, Rich Razzleberry, Blush Blossom, Bashful Blue, Not Quite Navy, Black Stazon, Basic Black ink.
Accessories: Whisper White Organza Ribbon, Aquapainter, White Gel Pen

The card base is Rich Razzleberry cardstock cut at 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" and scored at 4 1/4". The image panel is Whisper White cardstock cut at 4" x 5 1/4". The panel was stamped as shown above and watercolored with re-inkers and an Aquapainter. The White Gel Pen was used to color in the stamens on the lilies.  The sentiment was stamped in Black Stazon (because it was already out, classic ink would also work well for this.) Some Whisper White Organza ribbon was tied around the panel and into a bow. This panel was adhered to the card front. That's it!

Come back tomorrow to see some pictures of my very messy craft room. I've received some inquiries about my craft room lately and tomorrow I will show you, and tell you, all about it. It's not totally finished yet, but you'll see.